Saturday, February 11, 2012

Performative Literacy


Sheridan Blau’s definitions of literacy from the American Colonies through the late 20th century make sense to me. I am from the “analytic literacy” era. I do not remember having a choice in the texts that I read or being required to deconstruct a text. I did have to state main ideas, themes, plot, character, etc., but not much more than that. I certainly did not get to give my interpretation of the story.  
I am drawn to Blau’s concept of “disciplined literacy,” and how he breaks it down into three subsections: textual literacy, intertextual literacy, and performative literacy. Some might say that he creates a scaffolding effect but I think it is more of an overlapping step process, which is demonstrated by his seven traits in what he calls a “performative literacy in action.” The seven traits detail how a student may evolve into an active participant of the text they are reading, and learn to develop “alternative perspectives and to recognize the possibilities of alternative or multiple constructions of meaning” (21).
Blau’s concept enables the student to empower and challenge themselves as readers, writers, and interpreters of texts, theories, and criticisms. I liked how he gave examples to use in class to help students develop a deeper ever evolving mindset to literary studies.  The first part of the second bullet is a must if we want students to take risks while learning.

3 comments:

  1. One of the intriguing aspects of Blau's seven traits for performative literacy is that the actions presume an willingness or interest in becoming an "active participant." However, how do students learn how to connect with communities of readers? I think he talks more about classroom processes in his book The Literature Workshop, but I would be interested to understand more about how he engages students as a community of readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really agree with what you are saying here. I was fortunate enough to have really good AP teachers in high school and even better ones at UofM, so i definitely understand the value and importance of what Blau is explaining in the text.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your approval of Blau. I was really taken with his honesty with regarding the work and values we place on our students and their learning.
    His approach underlies the concept that we have to set our high standards and goals for students and expect nothing less. Of course, that takes time and is not exactly a sure thing but, Blau seems to recognize the atmosphere. The classroom cannot be a one-way monologue. It cannot also be a place where students are being bombarded by "busywork." The students know and they remember.

    ReplyDelete